12 December, 2012

Welcome to the Party!


Today, I'm joining in on the Papercraft Inspirations Blog Party and sharing a simple technique that can be used on scrapbook pages, mini books and cards. I will show you how to create a simple spinner journal card that add a lovely interactive touch to your pages.


For my page, the journal spinner is a fun way to document the characteristics of my DD. You can simply turn the spinner to reveal a new trait. Here is how I made it:


Firstly, die-cut or cut out your circles. My patterned paper was a little thin, so I cut out and additional cardstock circle for the back of the polka dots. I also cut out an additional circle from scrap paper.


Glue the polka dot paper to the cardstock. Using the scrap paper circle, fold this in half and half again to create a quarter. Align this over the polka dot paper as an easy way to find the centre of the circle. Pierce the centre ready for later.
Fold your scrap circle in half again to get a wedge (one eighth). We'll use this as a template to cut out the window. Flip over the patterned circle. Now mark around your paper wedge as shown. I used a Nestability die to give me a nice edge around the outside, but if you hand cut your circle, then try using your scrap circle as a template.

Now cut out the window just inside of your markings as shown.


Now place your top circle over the remaining bottom circle and set a brad through the middle. Just move the window around and write in your journal word. I used simple one-word descriptions, but you could have other fun words or stickers. These spinners are great on cards too.

To complete the layout, I trimmed down the main paper to 9 1/2" wide and added patterned papers strips to either side. Add on stickers or punched borders along the joins for extra interest.



Layer lots of patterned papers and scraps in the middle of the layout. 



I like to tuck in tags behind my photos for the journaling.

The title was created on a Silhouette, but you could always use letter stickers and a hand cut arrow instead.


Finally add little details such as the journal tags and of course a Boutique Button. These buttons are a fab way to add a finishing touch to a page. I like to glue mine directly on to the page so they're nice and flat and secure. This button is from The Sn@p Decision collection.


The Boutique Buttons have been designed to versatile and co-ordinate with lots of different papers and styles. This buttons is from The Daily Grind collection.

If you would like to win some buttons hop on over to the Papercraft Inspirations Blog Party where I'm giving away 2 sets to 3 lucky winners!

If you are not lucky enough to win a set then why not visit one of the stockists (see the right hand panel).

Thanks for popping in today. I hope that you will pop back again soon or pop in and say hi on my Facebook page.

Morag x
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Great idea - thanks for the tutorial. The page is lovely too - a very good layout, fab colour mix and I like the notes label peeping out from under the photo. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondedful colours! That wheel is so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh thanks Morag, I have pinned this. :o)
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a lovely comment - it is most appreciated!